Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC) has developed WING LOONG-I, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) to enhance the space-air-ground emergency communication service.
The developed Wing Loong-1 universal platform has been tested in an airfield of northwest China and resulted in a successful mission accomplishment to strengthen the emergency communication facilities.
“WING LOONG (WL) Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) is a multi-purpose reconnaissance-strike integrated UAV system of medium-altitude, medium speed, and long endurance – Aviation Industry Corporation of China ”
WING LOONG-I (WL-I) can carry payloads to execute intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, real-time strike missions.
AVIC Chengdu Aircraft Design and Research Institute (AVIC CADI) developed the WL UAV for high-capacity, medium-altitude, and long-endurance unmanned vehicles.
WING LOONG-I Test performance
The WL-I UAV carried wireless communication base station equipment at an altitude of 3 to 5 km with a radius of 3 km.
The communication system provided stable and prolonged coverage for 50 square km.
The WL-I UAV loaded with base station and satellite communication equipment delivered emergency communication and relay functions.
WING LOONG-I Benefit
The UAV possesses many advantages in security, research, and development, surveillance, etc. The upgraded WL-I UAV includes the accompanying key benefits:
- Space-air-ground emergency communication support amid communication interruptions under security-based emergency conditions.
- Space-air-ground communications extended for periods of 35 working hours per unit.
- Space-air-ground communication services can serve in severe weather and amid harsh conditions.
- Space-air-ground communication provides communication services in the absence of ground-based communication facilities or destroyed by fire, earthquakes, floods, or other natural disasters.
- Space-air-ground communication provides communication services in remote and other specialized areas, with all-weather communications and data transmission.